About this group
Leighton Buzzard Community Energy (LBCE) is made up of residents of the town and surrounding villages which are keen to suppor the development of more renewable energy installations in the area for the benefit of the environment and the community.
The model we intend to pursue can be simplified to:
- Get together a number of like-minded people
- Register LBCE as a social enterprise organisation operated by the community for community benefit
- Identify potential sites for renewable energy installations (solar panels in the first instance) and investigate their potential
- Raise funds to realise these projects through grants, loans, community share issues etc
- Spend funds raised from the project via energy sales the Feed-in-Tariff etc on growing the organisations renewable energy portfolio or any other community benefit project
We are currently in discussion with two organisations about hosting a solar panel array which LBCE would raise the funds to install and own.
We are also going to be canvassing interest in the town in forming a community buying group for domestic solar panels. There are many ways this can work but again at its simplest, the community approaches installers with a guarenteed number of potential installations resulting in a bulk purchase discount.
As I have mentioned we are just residents of the town local villages and volunteers so if you would like to help out or get involved please get in touch.